The latest Area Development magazine (Q2, 2016) features Orlando as a top region in the “100 Leading Locations for 2016” list, a ranking of 394 Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) across 21 different economic and work force indicators.
Overall, Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford ranked:
- 12th on the “100 Leading Locations for 2016” list
- 7th for Top 30 Big Cities
- Tied 17th for Economic Strength
Additionally, among the Top 20 Big Cities category, Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford ranked:
- 4th for Year-Over-Year Growth
- 6th for Economic Strength
- 18th for Prime Workforce
Area Development also recognized Florida in the Gold and Silver Shovel Awards for its success in creating jobs and bringing business investments to the area. A Silver Shovel was awarded to Florida, citing the state’s diverse economy with growing industries in manufacturing, aviation and aerospace, life sciences, defense, IT, finance, logistics and distribution and clean technology. Some of the top projects mentioned included those the Orlando EDC worked on, such as:
- The International Consortium for Advanced Manufacturing Research (ICAMR) Inc. in Osceola County, creating 215 jobs. ICAMR is a the first industry-led smart sensor consortium in the world which will house a state-of-the-art manufacturing development center in the areas of advanced smart sensors, photonics and optics.
- VOXX in Orange County, creating 134 jobs. VOXX is a manufacturer and distributor of automotive, consumer accessories and premium audio products.